Sunday, December 12, 2010

Does anyone know what I'm doing?

I just re-read the account my high school newspaper advisor wrote about starting a newspaper with 10 ill-prepared freshmen and sophomores (I still pronounce that word soph-o-mores, as he did all the time, to avoid spelling mistakes) and I realized I have no idea what I want to do.

In it, he describes me as the kind of girl who has probably never missed a deadline in her life, a stable, dependable reporter, and while all that could feasibly be applied to my description now, I don't want to be the Hermione Granger of the newspaper for my entire life.

Yes, I talk in class, yes I am obnoxiously over-prepared for every interview -- or more, every conversation -- that I have, yes, I wanted to be Hermione for a large portion of my life, but she knew what she wanted.

I had a conversation with the Features editor the other day, and he asked what specifically I like about features. (Which, to quote Jennifer in that account, "I don't even know what a feature is!") I replied with a purposely vague,

"Well, I like profiles. And I like the longer, follow-you-around-type stories. You know, more novelistic writing than anything."

And he said: "We don't really...do that. We do arts and entertainment, and as an intern it'd probably be more of covering events - quick briefs."

Okay, so I wasn't expecting to write the Pulitzer as an intern, I'm not crazy. But if features isn't where that kind of writing, where can I take my Hermione-style self to write the things I want? Or at least to travel in that direction?

Is there anywhere in this digital future of journalism where there's actual writing?

3 comments:

  1. Yes. Work for the NY Times, New Yorker, or an online newsmachine like that. I mean, the NYT still has a huge amount of profiles and features for a newspaper in an immediate gratification society. Or, just start your own things and try and sell them freelancin' it.
    :)

    And don't worry, I don't think anybody really knows what they're supposed to do yet. College is still a comfort zone. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah, why doesn't this tell me when people comment? I'm sure I would do more post-type things if there were some sense of community about it. Blegh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anyway, thank you! You are cute and nice.

    ReplyDelete